Reading on the Kindle right now (or just finished):
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (John le Carre). Should have read it before seeing the movie. It’s a lot easier. Although Gary Oldman remains the ‘man’. Can he really be the same guy who played Lee Harvey Oswald 20+ years ago?
- Everything Flows (Vasily Grossman). A graphic insight into life in the USSR between the wars.
- Bloody Treason: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy. (Noel H. Twyman). Starts well but then gets bogged down in the kind of detail that would leave a paranoid schizophrenic reaching. I love a conspiracy but…
- Legion of the Damned (Sven Hassel). Based on truth or not if you want to get a flavour of what life on the Eastern Front was like start here.
- Berlin (Anthony Beevor). Heavy going but it illustrates the sense of desperation felt by both sides.
- Surface Detail (Iain M. Banks). I read Execession 15 years ago and it changed my view of Scifi. This novel renewed my interest in the ‘Culture’. He’s very good!